1 in 5... Yes, 1 in 5 have dyslexia and need help.. Dyslexia is more than reading tutoring.. It requires a specialized approach..
What is Dyslexia?
Dyslexia is a specific language/ learning disability that is neurological in origin. It affects reading, writing and spelling and the ability to process written and/or verbal language. Problems occur with reading fluently and accurately. It affects individuals with average or above average intelligence. It can cause difficulties with accurate word recognition, reading comprehension and vocabulary development. Individuals with dyslexia learn differently. Contrary to popular belief, they do not see words backwards. They might have difficulty learning a foreign language, rhyming, spelling, difficulty with letter naming, difficulty with handwriting, delayed expressive language, organizational issues, poor sequencing of sounds in words, spatial difficulties. Orton Gillingham is a multisensory approach used to teach reading, writing and spelling utilizing seeing, feeling and hearing to learn to read, spell, and write.
Call 516-776-0184 today for a language/literacy evaluation for your child. Do not wait! Reading is important.
- Dyslexia Screenings and record reviews provided
- Speech/Language Assessments
- Orton- Gillingham- Barton Reading and Spelling
- Fast ForWord Reading Program
- Dyslexia Consultant and Screener
DO YOU SUSPECT DYSLEXIA? IS YOUR CHILD STRUGGLING WITH READING, SPELLING, AND WRITING?
We offer two options:
The first is a record review of past report cards, testing, background information, IEPs, writing samples. This will give you an idea if further testing is needed, whether dyslexia is evident, and whether further testing is needed. As a speech/language pathologist this gives you valuable information and ideas to help you or your child.
The second is a full comprehensive speech/language and literacy evaluation. This information is invaluable to help your children. This can be done as early as mid-kindergarten. I can screen your child for letter and sound awareness as early as age 4.
* “I was starting a job with a new airline and my speech started to deteriorate with the stress of training. I thought I was not going to be able to make it through the rigors of the training environment and initial flying experience in a new plane with new things that had to be said on demand. Lori helped me a great deal by getting me back to the fundamentals of speaking that I knew from therapy, but was not applying them properly. After five sessions with Lori, I was able to more comfortably continue with the training process and now I am progressing well with continued practice. Lori was great at getting me back on target.” (Matt, airline pilot, adult who stutters)