1 in 5... Yes, 1 in 5 have dyslexia and need help.. Dyslexia is more than reading tutoring.. It requires a specialized approach..
What is Dyslexia?
Dyslexia is a specific language/ learning disability that is neurological in origin. It affects reading, writing and spelling and the ability to process written and/or verbal language. Problems occur with reading fluently and accurately. It affects individuals with average or above average intelligence. It can cause difficulties with accurate word recognition, reading comprehension and vocabulary development. Individuals with dyslexia learn differently. Contrary to popular belief, they do not see words backwards. They might have difficulty learning a foreign language, rhyming, spelling, difficulty with letter naming, difficulty with handwriting, delayed expressive language, organizational issues, poor sequencing of sounds in words, spatial difficulties. Orton Gillingham is a multisensory approach used to teach reading, writing and spelling utilizing seeing, feeling and hearing to learn to read, spell, and write.
Call 516-776-0184 today for a language/literacy evaluation for your child. Do not wait! Reading is important.
- Dyslexia Screenings and record reviews provided
- Speech/Language Assessments
- Orton- Gillingham- Barton Reading and Spelling
- Fast ForWord Reading Program
- Dyslexia Consultant and Screener
DO YOU SUSPECT DYSLEXIA? IS YOUR CHILD STRUGGLING WITH READING, SPELLING, AND WRITING?
We offer two options:
The first is a record review of past report cards, testing, background information, IEPs, writing samples. This will give you an idea if further testing is needed, whether dyslexia is evident, and whether further testing is needed. As a speech/language pathologist this gives you valuable information and ideas to help you or your child.
The second is a full comprehensive speech/language and literacy evaluation. This information is invaluable to help your children. This can be done as early as mid-kindergarten. I can screen your child for letter and sound awareness as early as age 4.
* “All Island Speech and Lori Melnitsky are definitely in the vanguard when it comes to offering direct-approach methods for treating disfluent speech – particularly in young children – as evidenced in her work with our preschool-aged son who stutters. She was able to perform her magic through endless age-appropriate activities and games to keep him engaged both at home with us and in sessions at her office while delivering the Lidcombe Program, which has resulted in significant improvement in both our son’s speech fluency and clarity of speech. Lori definitely knows what she’s talking about and has a very caring and thoughtful way about her, backed by her years of experience as a speech therapist and as a parent herself, as well as by her own experiences as someone who overcame a severe speech disorder. If you are serious about treating speech disfluency no matter the age or degree, you could do no better than to choose All Island Speech. THANK YOU, LORI!!”(Parents of a 5 year old preschool child, NYC, 2018)