Is stuttering therapy needed for a two year old who stutters?
I often receive calls about this topic and have also been asked by professionals if this age is too young? It is a question many people in our profession ask. I am going to say about 20 percent of children go through periods of dysfluency. First, we have to determine if they are at risk and many times even if the 2 year old who stutters is not at risk the parents need a session to understand stuttering and how to modify the environment at home to modify the environment to lessen demands. First what are some risk factors for a two year old who stutters?
- Family history of stuttering
- speech and language difficulties
- males 4 times more likely to stutter than females
- stuttering for more than three month
- struggling to speak
- signs of awareness
- repeating words more than three timesShould two year olds get help for stuttering? Yes. there is no need to wait. It does not hurt to get a consult and it is important to see a stuttering specialist.What is the best therapy for stuttering for a two year old? The best treatment is the Lidcombe method for early childhood stuttering because it is a parent driven program and does not modify the child’s speech pattern .It does not change breathing patterns. Please email Lori@allislanspeech.com for more info.