Tips for teachers on stuttering…
Published by Lori Melnitsky
January 30, 2020 1:50 pm
Best tips for teachers on stutttering:
- Encourage but do not enable. Try to make it easier but do not allow stuttering to be an excuse.
- Listen and do not interrupt.
- Understand public speaking is difficult for most but even more challenging if you stutter.
- If you notice child is not raising their hand then you could talk privately to the student.
- If they raise their hand call on them first to reduce anxiety.
- Do not give poor grades for participation. It will increase anxiety for the child. Allow one on one presentations with the teacher.
- Listen to their message.
- Talk to the school speech pathologist or private therapist for advice.
- Remember stuttering does not define them. These are students who happen to stutter. Help them realize that.
If you would like to schedule for a continuing education workshop at your school please contact Lori@allislandspeech.com